Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Best Friends

I've worn the same necklace everyday for the last seven years. It's actually two neckaces combined into one and I'll admit, it's rather odd looking. I'll try explain. On the gold chain is a simple gold-plated celtic cross. There's nothing fancy about it but I've never been one to wear expensive or flashy jewelry. Next to the cross is a small "best friends" heart charm. It's one of those charms where the heart is cut into two pieces. You wear one half and your friend wears the other. It's a way to make a statement about the friendship you share and just a way to stay connected I s'pose. Anyway, I bought it as a birthday present for my friend Lynette, many years ago. For awhile, all that was on that gold chain was the cross and my half of the heart charm. A week after she died, I was over at Lynette's house helping her parents clean out the last of her stuff when her mom came in the room with a small box. She had been going through Lynette's jewelry and found her half of the gold charm. She thought it was only fitting that I have it. I immediately added it next to my half on the chain to complete the heart. I've worn it like that for seven years. I've gotten a few necklaces since then but whenever I go to take off the cross-heart conglomeration I just can't do it. I always end up wearing the new necklace on the outside and tucking the other one in my shirt. No one needs to see it anyway. It's just a way to stay connected I s'pose.

No comments: