Sunday, September 18, 2005

Enjoy the Ride


So I was laying in bed last night thinking about how great the day was and how good things are going for me right now. I mean, it feels like I'm riding this smooth ocean wave high above the problems and turmoil that engulfed me the past few years. No sooner did I have that picture in my head before another one emerged. It was one of fear and terror...Wipeout! My heart pounded wildly. I began to sweat. And the more I tried to stop the anxiety attack, the stronger it grew. My mind played the game of 'what if' it knows so well. What if someone else dies....What if I become seriously ill...What if this is all too good to last? What if this wave comes crashing down? As I cried out to God to give me peace, three words came into my head that I know were not my own...Enjoy the ride.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" ~ Matthew 6:27 (NIV)

If worrying about tomorrow zaps all of the joy out of today then what's the point? Why do I worry about things I don't have any control over anyway? God wants us to live in the moment, to enjoy each day as it comes and trust Him with our tomorrows. This is faith. This is strength. This is peace.

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." ~ Matthew 6:34 (The Message)

"The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day." ~ Lamentations 3:22-23 (NLT)

No comments: